Transitions for Writing Exercises and Worksheets
- Understanding and knowing how to use transitions is essential for anyone who aims to be a good writer.
- Transitions bring structure and clarity to writing.
- Transitions are usually broken up into 6 categories: cause/effect, contrast, adding information, sequence, comparison and emphasis.
- There are a number of ways to teach transitions.
- Word sorting exercises teach the different types of transitions.
- Gap fill exercises help clarify if students understand the meanings and subtle differences between various transitions.
- And sentence writing exercises challenge the students’ grammar and writing skills.
Note: If the PDF link doesn’t open, copy/paste the URL into the URL address bar.
Essay transitions exercises
5 exercises for teaching transitions (PDF)
Reporting verbs exercises (PDF)
Descriptive essay transitions exercise (PDF)
Argument transitions & structure exercises
Using transitions exercises (PDF)
Practice for linking words and transitions
Cause/effect transitions essay (PDF)
Combine the sentences with transitions &
Text structure quiz (PDF)
Transitional words multiple choice exercises (PDF)
Transitions multiple choice comprehension
Transitions paragraph puzzles (PDF)
Text structure frames (PDF)
Connectives multiple choice exercise
Exercise on connectives
Linking words exercises for contrast, addition, cause and result
Complete the sentences with but and because (word p.11)
Write the sentence again, using the word in brackets.
Coordinate/ing conjunctions exercises
Fill in the blanks with the correct coordinate conjunctions chosen from the pairs
Coordinating conjunctions worksheet (PDF)
Choose the best coordinating conjunctions (PDF)
Teaching ideas for linking words, signal words, transitions and conjunctions
Yes But Dialogue Game
But, however, although
Guides and lists for linking words, signal words, transitions, conjunctions or connectors
A list of conjunctions,grouped according to the function they perform in a sentence.(PDF)
Sentence examples for transitional wods (word)
Transitional Words and Phrases Excellent list divided into mild and strong
Transitional words divided by function